Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Trouble With Templeton's 'Bleeders'

Here it is, my latest production. A music video for The Trouble With Templeton's Bleeders:















I've had to keep very quiet about this until my brother officially released the video publicly.  I started having ideas for a clip (not for this song in particular) when I saw Kanye West's Runaway music video. I LOVED The idea of using dancers to reflect emotion involved in a song and when I heard Bleeders it felt like the perfect one for it. For those of you who don't know, the term 'Bleeders' is used to describe an emotionally expressive person e.g. "He's a Bleeder" or "I'm a Bleeder" etc. Tom's album is also titled Bleeders which I feel is appropriate having listened to the album already. I approached my brother with this idea and he built on top of it by creating the setting (the forest) and the ideas of using ghosts. we built on top of that until we had a full concept that we liked.

I was showing my brothers photography to my Cinematographer Richard Bell and he came up with the idea of using his art as concepts in the music video (the man in the tree, the lady in the bathtub and the lady in the earth.)


















For the whole 'look' of the clip we really wanted to go for a classic horror-movie style





We used Sleepy Hollow as a big reference, Tim Burton has always been inspired by horror movies growing up and Sleepy Hollow was a movie that he used to culminate all that he loved about them.
My brother Tom is a huge fan of The Cabinet of Dr. Calgari  and he also used a lot of references from that picture for the ghosts

Dr Calgari




















One of the Ghosts featured in the Bleeders clip, played by Betty Yeowart


















We had a chat to Toms manager and she asked If I could get it done in three weeks so we could help circulate the single. Obviously I just nodded my head and said I could do anything!  We went away and had Pre Production for 2 weeks and then shot the clip in one night.  We ended up losing some of the footage through technical complications so we went back and re-shot some new stuff a week later.  Three days after that we delivered it.




I'm glad I proved to myself that I could deliver something of this calibur so quickly (would've been interesting to see what happened If I didn't!)
I was working with such an amazing cast and crew, I tell you what it pays to have friends who are so amazing at what they do. (that totally rhymes)

Here's some photos at the Premiere with mates and family (Taken by Gail Browne:)



This has been an amazing experience and I'll be following up with my short film which starts shooting on August 3rd. Keep your eyes peeled!

1 comment:

  1. Nice work man, let me know if I can help out with the short film at all!

    ReplyDelete